ART THERAPY ON THE MAP (TRAIL PAGE!)
THE STATE OF ART THERAPY IN ICELAND
Icelandic Art Therapists Association - Félag listmeðferðarfræðinga á Íslandi: www.listmedferdisland.com
Founded in 1998.
At the present time, training to become a qualified art therapist is unavailable in Iceland. Art Therapists in Iceland have been trained mostly in US or UK but also in Spain. However, since the year 2013 Unnur Ottarsdottir has developed a curriculum and taught art therapy foundation courses at Iceland University of the Arts (4 ECTS) and at University of Akureyri (5 ECTS).
No state recognition.
Today Art Therapists are working in variety of settings with different age groups:
- Psychiatry units at the Landspitali-University hospital in Reykjavik
- Schools (Kindergarden and public schools)
- Setting for patients with cancer and their families
- Private practice (for example, services for child protection)
- Non profit Organization for Adolescence in danger of drug abuse
- Non profit Organization for victims of sexual abuse
Research & Publication
Ottarsdottir, U. (2005). Art Therapy in Education: for Children with Specific Learning Difficulties who Have Experienced Stress and/or Trauma (Unpublished PhD thesis). University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, England.